Warning message RE StationXML file version

Hi,

I am comparing signals recorded with a Raspberry Shake (RS) vs those of a broadband instrument (right next to each other). And when correcting for instrument response, for the RS I get this warning message:

/opt/anaconda3/envs/obspy/lib/python3.7/site-packages/obspy/io/stationxml/core.py:98: UserWarning: The StationXML file has version 1.2, ObsPy can read versions (1.0, 1.1). Proceed with caution.
version, ", ".join(READABLE_VERSIONS)))

Processing and plotting the results, I can’t see any problem, but: Should I be worried that there might be something problematic going on?

The attached figure shows a result with correction for instrument response applied to both.

Alan Kafka
Weston Observatory
Boston College

Corrected for instrument response, using ObsPy:

your response is likely being calculated correctly

some FDSN servers are still running 1.1. the changelog from 1.1 to 1.2 is here: 1. Overview — FDSN StationXML if you are curious. it actually states Any existing code that works with 1.1 should work with 1.2 without modification so that seems like a good sign.

mostly these seem to be stylistic changes in the XML, although there are a few semantic changes with how some of the response stages should be defined going forward.

1 Like

Thanks!

This was a “reality check” that I needed :slight_smile:

You could update your obspy installation which would get rid of the warning. At the time that older version you are using was released, StationXML 1.2 wasn’t out yet, hence the warning.

But yes, there should be no problems reading stationxml 1.2 on that older version, since there wasn’t really much changed in stationxml.