setup.py

Hi all,
I would like to use the new style `setup.py` file (master) with the release 0.8.4. I tried it something like one year back with some older version from f2py branch (not remembering the details). Now I am wondering if the current version from master would be compatible with the 0.8.4 release. I guess, there might be issues new features added (plugins) in master not available in 0.8.4.

Has anybody tried this? Or is there some new style setup.py version somewhere available in the repo, which would be compatible which with 0.8.4?

Thanks for any info!
~petr

Hi again,

I guess it is possible with some effort. The relevant pull request:
https://github.com/obspy/obspy/pull/431

You could try to only use those commits on top of the releases branch and see what happens.

Is there any particular reason you want to do that? 0.8.4 installs mostly fine and otherwise you could just install the latest master I guess.

Cheers!

Lion

Hi again,

I guess it is possible with some effort. The relevant pull request:
Using numpy.distutils for the setup.py + f2py for obspy.taup by krischer · Pull Request #431 · obspy/obspy · GitHub

You could try to only use those commits on top of the releases branch and see what happens.

Okay, will try around a bit.

Is there any particular reason you want to do that? 0.8.4 installs mostly fine and otherwise you could just install the latest master I guess.

This is to fix a problem with Macports version of 0.8.4. The problem with libgfortran.

Ideally, I would just use gfortran for the link step as well, gfortran knows where to find its libgfortran. But I do not find a way to patch this in the "traditional" setup.py. Linking manually against the "correct" libgfortran it is not very difficult, but in the Portsfile it becomes ugly, as I need to care about as set of possible gcc versions and it should not hardcode anything. So it is not a trivial hack.

My hope is that the new style setup.py would do all correctly out of the box.

~petr