SAC / SeismicUnix questions

Any suggestions regarding the following would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

1. Does anyone know of any existing tools, in obspy or elsewhere, for creating Origin/QuakeML/Station/StationXML objects by parsing SAC or SeismicUnix metadata?

2. I’d like to read multiple SAC files into an obspy stream, perform data processing, and write out the processed traces again as SAC files. Any suggestions on how to keep track of the original SAC filenames? I could simply add a ‘sac_filename’ attribute for each trace, but is there a better/more standardized way?

Hi Ryan,

1. Does anyone know of any existing tools, in obspy or elsewhere, for creating Origin/QuakeML/Station/StationXML objects by parsing SAC or SeismicUnix metadata?

There is no straight-forward mapping between SAC/SU and Station/QuakeML. Here are two tutorials describing how to generate these two XML formats from scratch in ObsPy which should get you started:

• Currently not. So just adding it to each trace’s stats dictionary seems to be the way to go. Cheers! Lion

There is no straight-forward mapping between SAC/SU and Station/QuakeML.
Here are two tutorials describing how to generate these two XML formats
from scratch in ObsPy which should get you started:

* http://docs.obspy.org/tutorial/code_snippets/
stationxml_file_from_scratch.html
* GitHub - krischer/seismo_live: Live Jupyter Notebooks for Seismology
notebooks/ObsPy/05_Event_metadata-with_solutions.ipynb

Good to know. In that case I may implement some type of mapping myself--my
use case requires me to pick one and go with it. Thanks for the help!