Obspy-runtests fails on MS-Windows

I followed the prescribed installation instructions here ( Installation via Anaconda · obspy/obspy Wiki · GitHub ) but the last step gives me an obtuse error:

(obspy) C:\Users\yourname>obspy-runtests
Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '“d:\bld\obspy_1593448035595_h_env\python.exe” “C:\Users\yourname\.conda\envs\obspy\Scripts\obspy-runtests.exe” ': The system cannot find the file specified.

I checked that Python is actually installed and usable:
(obspy) C:\Users\yourname>python --version
Python 3.8.8

I am new to Python, Anaconda and ObsPy.
The reference to “d:” drive seems really weird. That’s my DVD-ROM drive.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi. I have same problem. it shows like ;

Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '“d:\bld\obspy_1593448028650_h_env\python.exe” “D:\Anaconda\envs\obspy\Scripts\obspy-runtests.exe” ':

I am using Python 3.7.10

Anyone help me this issue.
Thank you.

hmm there seems to be an issue with the conda package - can’t help you with this as I build and use only PyPI packages (Installation via PyPi from source · obspy/obspy Wiki · GitHub).

However, you can run the script directly via the python command, e.g.

python.exe C:\Users\yourname\.conda\envs\obspy\Lib\site-packages\obspy\scripts\runtests.py

1 Like

Thanks ‘barsch’. The script runs to completion, although I get some errors:

Ran 1968 tests in 253.139s

FAILED (failures=4)

I’m happy that at least the script runs now (I’ll worry about the actual failures another day).

Hello, I have thesame problem and I can’t solve it :frowning: Please help me

It shows me this:

(obspy) C:\Users\brend>obspy-runtests
Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '“d:\bld\obspy_1593448028650_h_env\python.exe” “D:\Users\brend\anaconda3\envs\obspy\Scripts\obspy-runtests.exe” ': El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado.

obspy-runtest.exe is just a wrapper for calling the script runtests.py - so in your case just use:

python.exe D:\Users\brend\anaconda3\envs\obspy\Lib\site-packages\obspy\scripts\runtests.py

and it should work. The failing executable is not a big issue but should be fixed in the future.

Hello, I get the same error (Python 3.8.8):
Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '“d:\bld\obspy_1593448035595_h_env\python.exe” “C:\Users\delst\anaconda3\envs\obspy\Scripts\obspy-runtests.exe” ': The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks in advance.

Hey @barsch and others,

I tried just now to make a new conda environment (conda create -n obs obspy=1.2.2 python=3.8) and the obspy-runtests is OK…

Could some of you retry and let me know how it goes ?
tom