ObsPy @Macports now up to date ...

Hi ObsPy Users,

this is just a short note to inform you that the ports of ObsPy in MacPorts have been updated. I apologise of the delay, but I was a bit busy and have not found the time to look into the details of a very subtile issue.

Find all details on installation or update here:

https://github.com/obspy/obspy/wiki/Installation-on-Mac-OS-X-using-Macports

And report back if you should find any problems with it!

Regards!
~petr

Hi Peter,

I previously used the OS X App, but have wanted to make the switch to Macports anyway.
The dependencies installed just fine, but the py27-obspy package didn’t:

—> Staging py27-obspy into destroot
Error: org.macports.destroot for port py27-obspy returned: command execution failed

In the log file, I find the following:

[…]
:info:destroot running build_ext
:info:destroot customize UnixCCompiler
:info:destroot customize UnixCCompiler using build_ext
:info:destroot customize Gnu95FCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable gfortran
:info:destroot Could not locate executable f95
:info:destroot customize NAGFCompiler
:info:destroot customize AbsoftFCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable f90
:info:destroot Could not locate executable f77
:info:destroot customize IBMFCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable xlf90
:info:destroot Could not locate executable xlf
:info:destroot customize IntelFCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable ifort
:info:destroot Could not locate executable ifc
:info:destroot customize GnuFCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable g77
:info:destroot customize PGroupFCompiler
:info:destroot Could not locate executable pgfortran
:info:destroot don’t know how to compile Fortran code on platform ‘posix’
:info:destroot warning: build_ext: f77_compiler=None is not available.
:info:destroot
:info:destroot building ‘libtau_Darwin_64bit_py27’ extension
:info:destroot error: extension ‘libtau_Darwin_64bit_py27’ has Fortran sources but no Fortran compiler found
:info:destroot Command failed: cd “/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-obspy/py27-obspy/work/obspy-0.9.0” && /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7 setup.py --no-user-cfg install --prefix=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 --root=/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-obspy/py27-obspy/work/destroot
:info:destroot Exit code: 1
:error:destroot org.macports.destroot for port py27-obspy returned: command execution failed
[…]

Looks like some problem with Fortran, right? I am using gfortran without problems, but have
no idea how Macports/ObsPy work with these things. Maybe some really simple thing but
I can’t quite figure out how to fix this…

Cheers,
Johannes

Hi Johanes,

thanks for letting me know!

Yes, it actually looks like there is a problem with the fortran dependency. Could you check if the some gcc compiler (default should be gcc48) was installed as a dependency on your system)?

I rarely test without a macport gcc installed, was relying on the "fortran recipe".

Will have a closer look at this!
~petr

[Sorry for the last mail, it leaved too early!]

I just checked, the dependency seems to be picked up correctly.

What surprises me a bit, is that this comes up during destroot, a missing compiler should matter before during build.

Would you mind to send me the complete main.log? Make sure it is a clean log, that is do a `port clean py27-obspy` before retrying.

Thanks!
~petr

Yes, gcc48 seems to be installed just fine. Please find the (clean) log file attached.

Thanks for your help!
Johannes

py27-obspy_main.log (189 KB)

Did you change anything in the port? I tried it now and it works like a charm …

Did you change anything in the port? I tried it now and it works like a charm …

No change from my side! But happy to hear it works now for you.

Il looked through the log and did not find any serious problem. Actually, the shared object was build. Had some suspect on one warning! Unfortunately, I have not installed Maverick to reproduce.

Anyway, one thing however is strange: There should be a precompiled packages for Maverick, but it is not found. So there might be some subtile issue. Will try to understand this better.

Thanks for reporting!
~petr

Well it’s a bit weird that it just worked after 5 tries, but I won’t complain… Maybe
it encourages others to just try a few times as well.

Thanks for your effort and this port - this is way better than the App, especially
for matplotlib reasons…

Best,
Johannes

Well it’s a bit weird that it just worked after 5 tries, but I won’t complain… Maybe
it encourages others to just try a few times as well.

I will try to figure out details. I realise the binary archives for the new version (0.9.0) do not get build. So there might be some real issue, or there is/was a problem with the Macport's buildbot.

Thanks for your effort and this port - this is way better than the App, especially
for matplotlib reasons…

I am happy you like it!
I wanted to have a convenient way of installation without loosing all flexibility.

@all:
Please let me know if you encounter similar issues!

Thanks!
~petr

Hello,
I have a similar problem with installs via macports, apparently also
having to do with a fortran issue. The main.log is attached, which
was created after a clean command.

Thanks,
Wes

main.log (194 KB)

Thanks!

I now believe understand the problem. The packages is build correctly but on *installation* the fortran compiler is not found. Actually, I do not thing it is really needed at for installation.

Anyway, there there should be a workaround. Execute the command:
  sudo port select gcc mp-gcc48

before you try to install obspy. This way the fortran compiler is available under its standard name `gfortran` (which gfortran should give a result) and found during installation, so that it does not exit with an error. Please let me know if this works for you.

I will try to come up with a better fix for this.

Thanks for the feedback!
~petr

The issue should now be fixed and the changes was already pushed to MacPort's repo. So all should now work fine (no workaround needed), you only need to do a `selfupdate`. The binary archives hopefully becomes available soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience!
~petr