Obspy Install Error with Homebrew

Hello,

I attempted to install obspy through homebrew. This is the error message that resulted at the end of the install:

error: Command "/usr/local/g77/bin/g77 -g -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -Ibuild/src.macosx-10.9-intel-2.7 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/numpy/core/include -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -c -c /private/var/folders/s9/n684wq2d7595c5v5xzmpt3t40000gn/T/pip_build_grbrenn/obspy/obspy/taup/src/libtau.f -o build/temp.macosx-10.9-intel-2.7/private/var/folders/s9/n684wq2d7595c5v5xzmpt3t40000gn/T/pip_build_grbrenn/obspy/obspy/taup/src/libtau.o" failed with exit status 1

I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is that could result in this error?

Thank you,

Greg

Hey Greg,

sorry for the late answer.

The issue might be due a number of different things.

1. The fortran compiler. Pip attempts to use the g77 compiler in your case. I never tested that but I know the gfortran from homebrew works. Fortran compilers on OSX are a bit tricky and not all installations manage to work in the environment. Can you try to install gfortran and force the use of it with

$ F77=gfortran pip install obspy

2. It links against the system numpy and Python installations which is probably not what you want. Make sure that the homebrew provided Python is used when invoking pip. I have some really bad experiences when installation something with the OSX provided Python installations.

In any case, if possible I would recommend you just use Anaconda as described here:
https://github.com/obspy/obspy/wiki/Installation-via-Anaconda

Cheers!

Lion