obspy.fdsn package for mac os 10.6

Hi all,

I have a mac os 10.6.8 ( Snow leopard) computer, and I had installed (for the first time) ObsPy, following the installation guide for Mac os (https://github.com/obspy/obspy/wiki/Installation-on-Mac-OS-X).
More specifically, I have installed the application "ObsPy-0.1.5.dmg", which is the recommended way to install ObsPy under Mac.

I would like to use the fdsn package available for Obspy.0.9.0
However, the app doesn't have fdsn package. Mainly, because ( I think) that the current version of Obspy inside of "Obspy-0.1.5.dmg" is ObsPy 0.8.3.

So, what do you recommend me to use fdsn package? Should I try to install it by using Homebrew ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rosa

Hi Rosa,

yes. I would recommend you to go the Homebrew or MacPorts route. Both are described in the wiki.

We will most likely deprecate the app in the next couple of days. It is an essentially unmaintainable way to distribute ObsPy as it takes several days to update each time we want to release a new version. This is unacceptable for us.

Cheers!

Lion

Thanks for your quick answer.

As you said, I am trying with Homebrew now, and it is almost installed.

Cheers

Rosa

Hi Rosa!

Hi all,

I have a mac os 10.6.8 ( Snow leopard) computer, and I had installed (for the first time) ObsPy, following the installation guide for Mac os (Create new page · obspy/obspy Wiki · GitHub).
More specifically, I have installed the application "ObsPy-0.1.5.dmg", which is the recommended way to install ObsPy under Mac.

I would like to use the fdsn package available for Obspy.0.9.0
However, the app doesn't have fdsn package. Mainly, because ( I think) that the current version of Obspy inside of "Obspy-0.1.5.dmg" is ObsPy 0.8.3.

I think the Application was not updated and released yet. As far as I know Lion is working on that and it should be close to ready. But probably only him can tell you if he can make it available any soon.

So, what do you recommend me to use fdsn package? Should I try to install it by using Homebrew ?

Well, you could install it via MacPorts. This generally works quite smooth, once you have setup Macports packaging system (which can be useful for other stuff as well) and it is probably less work and tricky than the Homebrew way (at least if you are not already familiar with it).

In the unlikely case you should run into trouble with Macports, just let me know. I am maintaining the port and give you some support.

Good look!
~petr

Thanks!

At the end, I 've installed it by using Homebrew and "pip install obspy".
And it works perfectly.

Thanks again for all your answers.

Cheers!

Rosa