How do I get Obspy to run in IPython Notebook?

Hi,
I’ve installed Obspy on my Windows 8 computer, and then installed Anaconda and IPython Notebook. However Notebook always comes back as saying the Obspy is not found when I import.

I’ve got the Anaconda in my system path, my Python27 directory in my system path, my Obspy in the system path, my Python27 and Obspy scripts directories in my system path, nothing worked. Then I tried to physically copy the Obspy files over to the Python27 directory and that didn’t work. Then I tried the same thing with the Anadonda directory, but all that did was break IPython so that it no longer launches. I’ve exhausted my searching on the internet, on the Obspy page, and on Stackoverflow searching for solutions but nothing seems to have worked. I’m going to likely uninstall everything but some guidance and direction before I blindly try again would be helpful. Has anyone been down this road, and care to send some tips my way?

Hi Tycho,

You have to install obspy after anaconda.

If you do it before, obspy will be in your system python (C:/Python27). Anaconda then installs another python in its own directory and tells the system to use that instead. So then it can’t see the packages installed on C:/Python27.

Regards

Leo

Thanks Leo, I am uninstalling everything and starting over.

My latest problem is this: When I attempted to install ObsPy through Anaconda, Obspy’s directions, and pip, I got the following error that shut down the installation of ObsPy:

NotImplementedError: Only MS compiler supported with gfortran on win64

So what does THIS mean? My Fortran compiler isn’t any good? I have yet another dependency to track down?

Daniel,

why don't you use the exe installer from PyPI
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/obspy/0.9.2?

Robert

- --
Dr. Robert Barsch

EGU Office Munich
Luisenstr. 37
80333 Munich
Germany

Phone: +49-89-21806565
Fax: +49-89-218017855
eMail: barsch@egu.eu

ok I just tried on my Win 8.1 box here and it works without issues

After installing Anaconda-2.0.1-Windows-x86_64.exe (don't disable
those flags during isntallation) just open the "Anaconda command line"
from the Start menu and type "easy_install obspy" - this will grab
also all dependencies. After that type "ipython" and "import obspy" to
verify its running.

Robert

- --
Dr. Robert Barsch

EGU Office Munich
Luisenstr. 37
80333 Munich
Germany

Phone: +49-89-21806565
Fax: +49-89-218017855
eMail: barsch@egu.eu

Sorry Tycho, that’s a bit out of my league. My guess is that it has something to do with f2py.