Fault plane solutions in ObsPy?

I’m wondering what tools might exist in Python that could form part of a near-real-time fault plane solution system.

Is there a tool in ObsPy for auto picking not just candidate arrivals but also the polarity of first motion, e.g. impulsive up or down?
If not, would that be hard to add?

Also has anyone written an interface between ObsPy catalog objects and fault plane fitting codes such as fpfit? Are there better codes than fpfit to consider?

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Thompson wrote, On 3/9/14, 5:53 AM:

I’m wondering what tools might exist in Python that could form part of a near-real-time fault plane solution system.

Is there a tool in ObsPy for auto picking not just candidate arrivals but also the polarity of first motion, e.g. impulsive up or down?
If not, would that be hard to add?

Also has anyone written an interface between ObsPy catalog objects and fault plane fitting codes such as fpfit? Are there better codes than fpfit to consider?

There is also Hardebeck and Shearer code (HASH) focal mech code that uses first motions and amplitude ratios, but I don't know if there is any obspy routines that drive that or link to it with SWIG..

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Glenn, Paul,

I have a fork of HASH called hashpy which uses f2py to compile the Fortran subroutines from HASH into a Python module to do first motion focal mechanisms. There is support for I/O of data in Obspy format.

https://github.com/markcwill/hashpy

Analysts at NSL are currently using it in production. We do not do them automatically, however and I have not yet added the HASH functionality for amplitudes, but that could be easily done. (it’s on my list, someday).

-Mark