ObsPy workshop at ETH Zurich

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce an introductory workshop on ObsPy on 6 and 7 September 2012 followed by a developing sprint on 8 September 2012 held at the Swiss Seismological Service at ETH Zurich. A topical outline for the 2 days is given below. The topics discussed during the workshop may be subject to slight changes depending on the interest and background of the participants.

Since we are planing a hands-on session on both days we will have to restrict the number of participants per day. Preference will be given to people who want to present their work with/around/using ObsPy and/or that want to take part in the ObsPy developing sprint following the workshop. Participation at the workshop is free but providing your own funding for travel and accommodation as well as bringing your own laptop will be required.

If you are interested please write an email to Yannik Behr (behr at sed.ethz.ch) with your full name, affiliation and ideally a few words about your state of Python/ObsPy knowledge. You can also add suggestions for topics that you are particularly interested in regarding Python and seismological processing. Deadline for registering interest is 24 August 2012.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the workshop.

================== Program =========================
==== 1st day =====

Introduction to Python

Sergio:

Buenas tardes!

Please email ETH your interest and ask if they can broadcast the workshop online.

Best,

Branden

http://obspy.org/wiki/WorkshopAnnouncement

Saludos,
Martin

Hi,
  I'd like to go, but it will be hard to justify. Are these ever offered in the US?
Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I can understand that this is a bit too far to just fly over for two days. There is currently no plan to have an ObsPy workshop in the US but if you could find funding to fly some developers over you could organise one yourself. That's basically what we did here at ETH although admittedly it's a lot cheaper for us to do so than for you.

Regards,
Yannik

Hi Yannik,

I wasn't approved to go.
  Your workshop idea got me thinking; Will any of the developers be at AGU this year? We--IRIS/PASSCAL have hosted and participated in workshops at AGU before. I visited the obspy poster last year.
  You may not be the person to ask, redirect or forward at will.

Thanks,
  Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I forwarded your email to the core developers. There won't be an ObsPy poster at AGU this year and I don't whether any of the core developers is going to San Francisco.

Best,
Yannik