failed to read evt Kinemetrics data

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to read an evt kinemetrics file but the format of the file is ‘uknown’ as the error message shows:

from obspy import read
st = read(“a30h55VR.EVT”)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/home/bgrecu/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/util/decorator.py”, line 307, in new_func
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/bgrecu/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/stream.py”, line 231, in read
st.extend(_read(file, format, headonly, **kwargs).traces)
File “/home/bgrecu/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/util/decorator.py”, line 215, in wrapped_func
result = func(filename, *args, **kwargs)
File “/home/bgrecu/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/stream.py”, line 275, in _read
headonly=headonly, **kwargs)
File “/home/bgrecu/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/util/base.py”, line 400, in _readFromPlugin
raise TypeError(‘Unknown format for file %s’ % filename)
TypeError: Unknown format for file a30h55VR.EVT

I am using ObsPy 0.10.1 and Anaconda 2.1.0 (64 bit) on an Ubuntu 12.04 machine. I should mention that this evt file is from a K2 digitizer. I don’t know what is the problem so any help on this issue would be very appreciated. I attached the evt file, just in case that someone has an idea on how to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot.
Bogdan

a30h55VR.EVT (568 KB)

I can read the file with obspy 0.10.1 without problems (installed via
anaconda 2.1.0, 64bit, Debian 7, Python 2.7.9). No idea why file format
detection is not working for you, but you should be able to explicitly
specify the correct filetype:

st = read("a30h55VR.EVT", format="KINEMETRICS_EVT")

best,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

and thanks for your answer. It really helped since it made me to check again my system and, surprisingly, I noticed that I was not running obspy 0.10.1 as I said in my message, but an earlier version. So, this was the problem. Obviously after the upgrading I could read the data. Sorry for the false problem.

All the best,
Bogdan